Friday, September 9, 2016

Japan day 9, Sep 9 - American Clinic Tokyo... Such a small world! (but no change in luck)

Even after resting my foot, as soon as I stood up to start over to the clinic, I knew it would take a while. Limping all the way, I finally made it there. Luckily I got there early since the website said by appointment only.

Waiting by the entrance to the building, I saw someone approach and asked if he was from the clinic... Spoke with perfect English! He was the office manager and took me upstairs to fill out paperwork so the doctor could see me.

After a few preliminary questions etc... I was promptly told that everything would be out of pocket since they operate mainly for expats outside of Japan's socialized system. Bummer for my wallet, but lucky to find a doctor from the States. I approved, and Dr Mikasa went to work. He examined me, and then had his assistant take me to the Orthopedic to get xrays to check for a fracture.

Here's where my luck seemed to change. His assistant seemed around my age. She was young and pretty, and she spoke with an American accent... Talking with her while at the orthopedic, I found out that she just recently graduated from college in the states, is from California as well, and actually knows my cousin! We got along pretty well and exchanged information. And on top of that, the xrays came back not showing a fracture... More good news! Dr Yoshida, the orthopedic, thought it was just a strain of the ligament in my foot and should be fine in a couple days. Again... Bad for my wallet... Good for me and my trip!

Unfortunately, the assistant turned out to be a flake (no wonder she said she was having trouble meeting people here) and my foot pain continued. So much so that my Uncle recommended for me to go home for an mri to see if it actually is a fracture. Oh and the damage to my pocketbook was that it quadrupled the amount I'd spent in the past week... Within three hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment