Monday, September 12, 2016

Japan day 12, Sep 12 - Coming home

Yesterday (Sunday), I made the decision to wrap up my adventure and fly home... At this point, I'm not quite sure what's wrong with my foot. It's still possibly a stress fracture. Regardless of what it is, my foot needs to heal. I thought perhaps it may be better as of this morning, but it's very, very hard to tell since I've been keeping off of it as much as I can. It is certainly less inflamed, but I can tell that something isn't right. After returning the crutches this morning, I walked around Tokyo Station to get the bus to Haneda Airport and have been wandering around Haneda a bit... While it doesn't hurt like before, I can tell that if I kept walking, I'd probably end up back at the American Clinic Tokyo. So, given my budget, I think it's more prudent to return to the states for the time being. Japan will still be here later on (I hope). Not to mention, just sitting around and resting/reading (while I love doing that in my free time) is not the activity I would like to be doing while in Tokyo.

That said, as I posted earlier in a more personal note, I have been somewhat lonely here for a mix of reasons. It's scary as shit going in not knowing where you're going to sleep, trying to get by on $25 a day in an expensive country, walking because public transport is too expensive, hardly finding anyone who speaks English, dealing with some personal relationships... However, I do have to say that I am feeling quite proud of myself. Until the clinic, I actually did only spend $25 or less per day (and probably lost about 10 pounds in a week). I made some really long and sometimes risky treks and saw some beautiful nature. I ended up meeting around eight or nine new people (two of whom I will definitely stay in touch with and three of whom I may see if I ever come back to Japan). I figured out my medical situation and made do with the interruptions to my "plans". I was flexible (though everything had been pretty frustrating) when I needed to be.

While I am a little bit embarrassed that I am returning before even two weeks are up on my like planned ten week adventure, I think that I quickly found whatever answer I had been seeking (if I had indeed been searching for anything in the first place). I have an idea of what I want at the moment, and adventure isn't necessarily a part of it. That doesn't mean I am not going to travel. I may decide on a whim that I would like to continue my trek after my foot heals... Or maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment