Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Japan day 6, Sep 6 - Taku, the wandering YouTube preacher who gave me a chocolate sandwich

Per usual, I wake up at five in the morning... I'm not sure why, but it happens whenever I sleep outside/in an uncomfortable environment. Well, if I really think about it, I'm sure it has to do with circadian rhythm and when the sun rises here mixed with human beings' natural propensity to sleep worse in new places... Yada yada yada... Nerdy shit.

After an hour or so of just lying in my mummy bag playing chess, I hear a car pull up in front of the bus stop... I'm thinking... "So the guy came in extra early to see if I was okay? Wow, these Japanese are impressive!"

Obviously, it was not him. Never listen to anything I have to say immediately after I wake up. That's when I'm at my mostest stupidest.

At this point I'm up and putting away my sleeping bag. (Oh and I have to interrupt and say that I have been switching verb tenses in these posts... I'm just too lazy to be consistent post to post). He walks in, and we nod at each other. He puts his things on the little table and starts setting up camping cookware... Still feeling sort of naked, I put my clothes on (just kidding), but I was definitely feeling somewhat awkward since I tend to correctly assume that every single person I meet here does not speak English.

After sitting there in silence for a minute or two, he blurts out... "So, where are you from?" Like Usain Bolt stumbling out of the blocks because his legs are too damn long and how the heck does he run so fast with those pool noodle legs, I take that as queue to completely fuck up the words I'm trying to speak. However, given a seconds, I'm up to speed and have to make up for the last three days I've spent without talking. To which, my new friend replies... "Oh, I'm used to Americans. I went to middle and high school in Connecticut."

Taku is 100% Nipponese. However, unlike his father before him, he does not fit any of the typical Japanese stereotypes. In fact, Taku is a nomad. With year long stints in places such as Australia, Alaska, and the ever exotic Canada, he has travelled the world working shitty jobs. You know, nomad stuff.

Somewhere between 30-35, he currently lives in Osaka and works as a snowboarding instructor during the winter months. When I inquire about the other seasons, he tells me something that I did not expect; he is a YouTuber. And not only that... He makes videos about God. As far as what that entails... I do not know.

About a year and some ago, Taku found Jesus (as he says). He genuinely believes it is the one and only true religion on this earth. Intrigued, I inquire deeper into what he means about it being the "true" religion... Meaning the message or what? Ultimately, he says that it's a matter of philosophy and the message in the Bible (apparently the best book ever written, or so I've been told). From there, the conversation grew a bit dry with philosophical and moral questions and opinions as might be expected.

Before departing, Taku, the YouTube preacher, kindly gave me a chocolate sandwich and wished me the best. Of all the people in Japan that speak English, what an interesting person to cross paths with.

No comments:

Post a Comment