Friday, September 9, 2016

Japan day 8, Sep 8 - What a night....

Despite a delicious meal in my belly, I had yet to discover just how long that night would be.

Unsure about where to stay, I stayed put in on the malls connected to the subway looking stuff up online. There was nothing really that cheap... So I looked up an internet cafe, and I decided that I would head over to it around 10pm so that I could sleep the whole 6-8 hours I would have paid for.

After reading for quite a bit, I meandered looking for a snack. Ultimately, I found myself on a decent sized wooden bench in a business district around Tokyo Station. It was big enough and secluded enough where I felt like I could get some shut eye... So I shut my book, put my valuables underneath myself, and fell asleep with my hat covering my face.

Twenty minutes later a young police officer woke me up. I honestly had no idea what he was saying, despite the hand gestures. He was angry. He was not agitated... He just had on a straight and concerned face. I figured that he wanted me to move, but it was extremely hard to tell... He apologized, but I decided it was best to find somewhere else.

I walked over to a place between Tokyo Station and the Imperial Palace grounds and found a ledge on a wide walkway... Surely I would not have disturbed anyone there. Plus I had seen at least two other people sleeping just like that around me so I felt like it would be fine. The same thing happened not thirty minutes after putting my head down and quickly passing out. Again... I was puzzled. These cops were not mad at all. They seemed apologetic. However, I felt it best that I migrated once more. I began heading towards an internet cafe before needing to stop and rest. Although the rain made me hide under an outcropping, it was really my foot pain that made me stop. I hadn't realized how much my foot was hurting. It was becoming increasingly difficult to walk.

So, I contacted my doctor Uncle who told me to get some xrays to make sure it wasn't a stress fracture.

Already 2am, I spent some time looking for a clinic or something via Google... I even called the US embassy to inquire about the best place, but it was closed. Eventually I found a place called the American Clinic Tokyo near Rappongi (an area in Tokyo). The website was in English, and it was right next to the embassy... It even had reviews on Google in English!

Rather than falling asleep somewhere and getting woken up again, I decided to just slowly walk my way over to the clinic. I eventually got to the area... At this point the pain in my foot was excruciating, so I found a convenience store and bought some snacks and caffeine and a seat (and even a plug to charge) and sat there for the next five hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment