Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Japan day 7, Sep 7 - Foot aches

Okay... So let's just get down to it... My foot (out of nowhere) just starts to ache. Mile after mile the same aching pain in the outside of my foot. Then comes the sharp pains with increasing frequency stabbing into the outside of my right foot somewhere between my toes and my ankle. It's enough to make me stop limping and need to rest.

...

I had felt wonderful waking up in the hostel, chatting a bit with another young Japanese traveler from Osaka, and Antonio the Spaniard (a retired primary school principal from the Canary Islands and a nomad in his own right who also used to live in northern Chile!).

After packing and saying my farewells and offering again to do my part, I headed out on the highway continuing my meandering trek down south. Aiming to climb Mt Tarumae (a still active volcano) and then make it to the beach side town of Tomakomai to find a place to sleep.

A couple miles out that dull throbbing in my foot started. I shook it off and just kept on keeping on. However, between miles five and six, I had to turn around. The highway had no sidewalk, it was really narrow (only wide enough for one car to pass at a time), but the real issue was the intense pain in my foot. Not to mention the humidity and pretty extreme heat compared to the past few days.

While I had enough water, it was almost equally difficult getting myself back to town, limping the entire time. I knew it wasn't a twisted ankle or anything like that... There was not much swelling and no bruises... I honestly had no idea what was happening.

I finally made it back to town and took shelter from the rain at the bus stop again (seemingly the only sight I saw at this lakeside town). Given the situation and refusing to stay any more days in that town, I booked a flight to Tokyo and boarded the next bus to New Chitose Airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment