Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Untitled #3

Fight or flight, run or hide, pursue or let go... The basics of human nature.

Have you noticed that some people carry an aura around them? Sometimes it's swirling and intense. Others are calm and collected, bordering on brooding. Now, of course, my set of extraordinary individuals (and I do mean that in the sense that these individuals seem not-ordinary) is different from your set is different from anyone else's set. So, in a sense, it's not something about that particular individual, or, rather, it is a combination of two. Like pheromones that my body responds to, these individuals lash out and grab me by the pit of my stomach. I know that's where they strike because my mind and soul lurch forward leaving behind a lump, big and round, in the pit of my belly. They put you in a trance, mouth parched and brain empty.

So, why don't we follow such people? Why not pursue and run and sprint after them? Out of breath on approach, it makes little difference for I have no words to say.

You're beautiful... So dull and plain.

That's a really good book... No, I'm the one carrying a book. She has nothing in her hands.

I'm a really interesting guy... Show, not tell.

I love Murakami. I don't have any reason to tell you, but hear me out for a minute and let me explain. I'm out in the middle of the day because I don't start my new job until August. I read a lot. I love Murakami. I just read a short story of his about love. It's called The 100% Perfect Girl for Me. It's about a boy and a girl finding the right person and foolishly testing themselves by separating, hoping that such a fickle thing as "fate" (whatever that is) will bring them together again. Only, it doesn't. It doesn't matter why or how. It just doesn't.
I'm rambling now, I know. And I'm talking so fast that you don't even have time to respond or nod or say anything. Maybe that's because I'm afraid of rejection and you seem so lovely and there's something about you. The way you hold yourself upright when you walk. The way you walk. I like girls that walk with their feet pointed straight ahead, very much the opposite of ducks. You have lovely hair and a beautiful, but interesting-looking face. I'd like to stare at your face.
I have no evidence for what I'm about to say... But I know this. Like we know to breathe and to beat our hearts, to enjoy our food, to give to those we love. Programmed and innate, I know that you and I could be something. It's chemical, natural... distinctly human. It's all the above, and we stupidly have thrown out our instincts for mobile phones and algorithms...

Reality comes to, the wind whipping my face. I see her faintly on the horizon, blocks away. I drop my book and my phone... And I fucking run.

No comments:

Post a Comment