Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Japan day 0, Aug 31 - Flying

I feel like I'm always hyper aware of diversity when I'm at an airport and getting on a plane. Not to mention judgemental as fuck, which is always fun when traveling with a companion. Unfortunately, since I'm traveling alone, judgements just make me feel mean.

Sitting in fake leather seats still warm from the last traveler and eating oatmeal so thick it's guaranteed to take a week to struggle through my system, the people in this flying hunk of metal run the gamut. There's the overweight, balding businessman across from me with a dead look in his eyes, the young white women tapping the screen so hard she's giving the guy in front of her a concussion, a middle aged balding man with a slow, slurring southern accent talking loudly about God on his mobile phone, the old man creeping into my seat's area caressing the entertainment screen like he's never seen one, a Hispanic woman chatting away in Spanish behind me up until take off (oddly I've heard much more Spanish on the plane than Japanese), more Asian women with white men than I care to acknowledge, a large and flamboyant black man with straightened hair recording himself strut down the plane aisle while boarding, and so much more.

Interesting that such a diverse group is travelling to quite possibly the most homogeneous country on this planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment